Melatonin und Corona

Melatonin and Corona

What role does melatonin play in combating Corona?

Since the outbreak of Coronavirus, also known as Covid-19, researchers have been looking for treatment options to help the infected. Such treatment is melatonin, a hormone that is produced by the pineal gland in the brain. Recent studies have shown that melatonin can play a role in combating the virus. In this article we will discuss the role of melatonin corona virus and how it can help the infected.


Melatonin is a hormone that is produced by the pineal gland in the brain. It is primarily known for its role in regulating sleep. The melatonin mirror usually rises in the evening when it gets dark and signals our body that it is time to sleep. Research has shown that melatonin can also have antioxidant and anti -inflammatory properties.

The role of the melatonin corona can

The role of the melatonin Corona can is still being examined, but recent research has shown that it could be useful in combating the virus. A study showed that Melatonin the replication of the virus can reduce in human cells. Another study showed that melatonin can alleviate the symptoms of infected.

Melatonin to Corona Vaccination

It is still too early to say whether Melatonin Corona is effective after vaccination against the Coronavirus. However, some research results indicate that it could help improve the effectiveness of the vaccine. In a study it was found that melatonin increased the production of antibodies in mice that had been vaccinated against flu.


The role of melatonin in combating the coronavirus is still being examined, but recent research has shown that it could be useful in combating the virus. If you are interested in taking melatonin, speak to your doctor to see if it is suitable for you. Melatonin is an ancient substance Scientists believe that melatonin appeared on earth 3.5 billion years ago because they found it in the oldest cyanobacteria. Today it is known that most of the living organisms, both animals and plants, synthesize melatonin.

The discovery of the melatonin

In 1958 Aaron Learner, a professor of dermatology at Yale University in the USA, managed to isolate a new connection from the epiphysis of cows that, when injected into the skin of Kauladatzen, brightened. The preparation blocked the production of the melanocyte stimulating hormone, which is why it was called "melatonin". It was later discovered that the connection was synthesized, especially at night. For two decades, melatonin was considered the only hormone that regulates the circadian rhythms of humans.

Melatonin production

80 % of the melatonin is produced by the epiphysis, a 100-125 mg gland in the brain. The remaining 20 % of the melatonin are produced by special cells:
  1. the digestive tract;
  2. Bronchi and lungs;
  3. the kidneys;
  4. the pancreas;
  5. Prostate and ovaries;
  6. the retina, other organs and tissues.
Even blood cells - eosinophils and lymphocytes - produce melatonin. This discovery was made in 1974 by the Soviet scientists Nathan Tanfeevich Raichlin and Igor Moiseevich Kvetnoi. This "peripheral" melatonin has no influence on the circadian rhythms, but only works at the local level.

Effect of melatonin

"The sleep hormone is produced between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. (in night owls earlier, at owls later). The melatonin concentration reaches its peak between midnight and 2 a.m. and falls on a minimum until six or seven in the morning.

How does melatonin work?

Absorbs free radicals, unstable molecules that damage organs and tissues and lead to reduced immunity, neoplasms and cardiovascular diseases. It is the strongest natural immune modulator, restores damaged cells and prevents diseases, including cancer. Has a pronounced chronobiotic effect: it regulates daily and seasonal biorhythm. Promotes falling asleep and relaxing sleep. If the endocrine system regulates, the body temperature normalizes. Acts as an antidepressant and prevents certain mental disorders. Slows the aging process and increases life expectancy.
Back to blog